Monday, March 03, 2008

Meet Alice The Mouse!



"Alice-the-mouse" is her formal name. She came to life shortly after our daughter came into this world. She is very much a part of our family and was lovingly slept with, scrunched and dragged around for 10 years. Then spent the next 7 years on the shelf.

She's knit out of Dark Gray French Angora that was left to me by my mother-in-law, who passed away a few months before our daughter was born. My thinking was that Alice could be the soft hug from a grandmother who would not be known.

This is our daughter at 6 with precious Alice, whose eyes are pewter rose buttons. They were only separated once, by accident, when poor Alice was left in a hotel room and was not able to be retrieved for 3 long, heart-wrenching days. I've often wondered what Alice was up to during her stay at the hotel!

I wrote stories about Alice's humble beginnings and her adventures which were told at bedtime. Here is a sampling of some of the illustrations I did to entertain the two sleepy-heads.








Our daughter is now 16 and Alice doesn't sleep in the bed anymore, she sits on shelf. Ahhh, they grow up so quickly!

I can only imagine that someday Alice-the-mouse will have some knitted friends who will likely be as rumpled and crushed and loved as she was.

3 Comments:

Blogger WilleWorks.com said...

Adorable little mouse! Did you knit it?

4:25 PM  
Blogger Marta McCall said...

Hi Marianne,
I did knit Alice and her red polka dot dress, too! She's not so little, she's about 16" tall. I'm glad you like her, she's glad, too!

Marta

8:51 PM  
Blogger WilleWorks.com said...

Alice is darling and I love all the photos of your family too! It is so fun to read about how you learned to knit.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home