Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I'm Not A Knitting Purist

As I'm sure you've probably guessed, I like to add lots of elements from other craft disciplines to my knitwear designs.






Nothing is off-limits, as far as I am concerned. The more crafting skills you know, the more amazing your projects can be.




Sewing, embroidery, needle-felting, beading, wire-working, leather-crafting, painting and drawing, weaving, spinning, dying and above all a "can-do" attitude can spice up your knitting repertoire.


I added gold and silver leaf to the felting process in the Silver Leaf Satchel (center top), Zebra Bag (above) and Pebble Beach Bag (above Zebra Bag).







Pearl beads were used to emphasize the zig-zag motif in the Zig Zag Wrap (at right) and real pearls on rings, Felted Purls (below).


Needle felting on the Needle Felted Bucket Bag (left), Cheery O's Pillow (below) and Cheery O's Book Bag (below Cheery O's Pillow).















Embroidery before felting on the Flower Market Bag (directly below).

Wildflower Cushion (below) is also embroidered before felting.




















Spray paint on the Barcelona Bag (below).






Shibori on the Rocky Road Scarf (right).











Added embellishments like pennies, polished stones, shells on The Famous Penny Bag (below), Pebble Beach Bag (you've already seen above), and the Hamptons Bag (below The Famous Penny Bag).










Or simply add unusual hardware and buttons, like on the Five Alarm Bag (below left), Beginner's Mail Carrier Bag (below right), Silver Leaf Satchel (top of page), Barcelona Bag (top), Zebra Bag (second from top).




Many more surprises are waiting to be revealed through your knitwear designing. I encourage you to experiment and swatch using your non-knitting skills!
Now go out and design!
All of these designs are available from

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marta
I am making the silver leaf satchel and have been unable to find the wooden handles. They are the last and only thing holding me up from finishing this project which I love. Can you please help me find the handles? The website listed in the pattern doesn't have them....
Thanks

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to find the 8ft tall cabinets that you have got from IKEA. Can't seem to find them. Do you the name of them?

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home