Sunday, October 12, 2008

Organizing The Stash!

I'm sure we're all in agreement that times are challenging right now and utilizing what we have is a good idea.

With that in mind, I've been organizing my design materials to the "inth" degree.

The remodel of my office is almost complete and I've started moving in. This has given me an opportunity, yes, I said opportunity, to go through every single bit of my stash, fabric, buttons, ribbons and YARN. I've purged any unnecessary "bit" and made donations to the High School Fiber Arts Class.


The photo above is one of two cabinet sections where I have organized my fabric (for lining bags mostly). I've arranged it by color, which makes me happy. The two diffused white laminate glass cabinets at the very top also house fabric, but I left them closed so that you can see how nice they look.



The cabinets are 8 feet tall and are from Ikea, my new favorite place to shop!


At right is what my Ikea cabinets look like closed. There are no handles, they are push-latch to open. So it becomes a clean wood-paneled wall.







The pieces at left are my favorite of all!

I think I've finally found a way to organize my yarn. And believe me, I've been trying to find the perfect yarn organization furniture for decades!

The drawers not too tall or too deep, they are handy, keep my yarn lint and dust free, make viewing yarn easy and just as easy to access.

These drawers are also from Ikea (no, I don't work there---but I should!) I have 5 banks of them all together (three are shown above).

I put Ikea kitchen cabinets on top of the drawers and they are anchored to the wall in studs. The top cabinets house "crafty" stuff and things like handbag handles.

Here's an open drawer of yarn! Happily organized!

I hope this provides a bit of inspiration. Cleaning out and clearing out is good for the design soul! I'll share more as I organize the rest.


6 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

I am in love with your organized room! Not only tidy but really gorgeous! Fabulous!

Now I feel kind of ratty around the edges! :)

6:23 PM  
Blogger Marta McCall said...

Thanks, Tina! I can't wait to reveal the whole room, it's very cool. My daughter is currently living in my office while her room is being remodeled. Once she gets her room back, I'll get my office back.

More later! No need to feel ratty!
;)

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha Marta

I just purchased the instructions for "The Penny Bag." There are no instructions included for placement or installation of the optional magnetic snaps.Thanks!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha Marta

Sorry-lost internet connection...can you tell me instructions for placement of magnetic snaps on "The Penny Bag?"

4:39 PM  
Blogger Mary Jane Hall said...

I loved reading about how you organize, Marta! I have some drawers that are similar to yours. I'll have to look for the ones at IKEA :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger dawnbrocco said...

Hi Marta,
Love your Ikea storage units! Which ones are they - would love to get them for my office/studio.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home